No 29 Church Cottage – Hawes Green
Most people’s first question is ‘where is the church?’
The church is St Botolph’s Church, which lies ruined in the churchyard opposite. Henry VIII destroyed the church during the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1536-1539).
St Botolphs belonged to his great enemy, the Abbot of St Benets. The church was literally razed to the ground because the Abbot of St Benet’s gave Henry more trouble than most.
The central part of Church Cottage is approximately 400 years old and built of wattle and daub (straw, dung and mud) and large oak beams. In the last 40 years the house has been enlarged with the kitchen added in the 1950s, a two storey extension in the 1960s and the conservatory in the 1980s.
There are no ghosts.