No 25 Vinecroft
This building dates from 1600 to 1650. The house is a timber framed dwelling on a flint plinth with dutch gable end of tudor bricks to vault and a roof of old clay pantiles.
The roof was at one time thatched. Internally there are beams and timbers. Unglazed mullion windows have been found to the rear of the building.
The property deeds give entitlement to a “going”on the common opposite. This means that there is an right to graze animals and use the spring for water. On the Southern boundary of the land are the remains of an old cottage, a well and a pump.
The garden and orchard to the front are bordered by a mixed hedge of yew, holly, elm, hawthorn and beech.
Trees: horse chestnut, hazel, ash, holly, yew, silver birch and bamboo.
Birds seen: woodpecker, robin, wren, bullfinch, chaffinch, yellow hammer, turtle dove pheasant and partridge.
* These sightings were listed in the year 2000